One of the most common questions I get asked is how can you guarantee your possum proofing work?
Don’t possums chew their way back in?
The answer is simple, yes they do chew their way back in and I can guarantee the work we do because possum removal is more than just trapping a possum and sticking some chicken wire in the hole, I know when we finish it’s done properly and permenantly.
Understanding how possums work is part of the years of experience we have accumulated.
- knowing where and how they get in
- what to look for when inspecting the roof
- how to block the entry points properly
Will give us the ability to guarantee that possums won’t get back in once they have been blocked out.
Doing this efficiently in a cost effective way is why you should use a professional rather than someone who claims to be able to trap and relocate and block possum entry points.
A Couple of Facts
- You can’t relocate possum! – The national parks and wildlife act prevent the relocation of possums from their territory. The unofficial reason relocating possums is a waste of your money is that it doesn’t fix the problem.
- Paying someone to just trap and remove possums from your roof is a waste of money too. There are many more efficient ways of getting possums out of the roof.
- Some people will give a guarantee, even up to 2 years, but it will only cover the tiny little piece that they have fixed and not anything else.
- Materials used to seal the entry must be fit for the purpose. Stuffing wire in a hole doesn’t really cut it.
There are those who know what to do and there are those who say they know.
I recall a story of someone who had possums removed from his building, it was a unit block in Milton Brisbane. They had worn a hole in the Gyprock ceiling, so he thought it time to get them out.
Someone who claimed to be “a possum man” was called in to remove the possums. They convinced the owner that the only way to get the possum out was to cut a hole in the ceiling and put a trap in there. It was a narrow roof space with limited access, so it made sense.
A possum was trapped and relocated, problem solved. Or so they thought. The owner went and had the ceiling repaired at a cost of about $1,900.00.
6 months later the possums were back and guess what? They produced another hole in the ceiling with another repair bill of about $1,600.00. The owner called the previous guy or tried to only to get no answer. So the 12 month guarantee he gave was useless.
Eventually he called us, we went and
- found the entry point up on the roof and checked there were no other access points
- made sure we got the possum out
- sealed up the hole
- guaranteed they wouldn’t get back in
All for less than $400. Had the guy doing the work done it properly in the first case the owner would have saved $1,600 in ceiling repairs.
If the owner had of taken action to get the possum out before it wore a hole in the ceiling he could have saved another $1,500.
It doesn’t matter where you live, find professional possum removal and proofing by experienced people who know what they are doinging.